Featured Product: Nancy’s Organic Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 6 Fresh Roma Tomatoes, grated with juices or 1 (15 oz.) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 6 C. Chicken Broth
- 8 Corn Tortillas, cut in strips
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped Cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Shredded Cooked Chicken Breast
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Nancy’s Organic Sour Cream
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Avocado
- Fresh Squeezed Lime
- Add the olive oil to a stock pot over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the diced onion. Sauté until translucent.
- Add the chili powder, cayenne pepper (if using) and minced garlic to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes before adding the tomato paste. Cook another 2-3 minutes, until the mixture turns a deep rust color and begins to stick to the pot
- Add the grated fresh tomatoes or canned chopped tomatoes and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and prepare a baking sheet with foil.
- Using a long chef’s knife or a pizza cutter, cut the tortillas in half and then into ½-inch strips. Scatter them onto the foil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the tortilla strips in the oven for about 12 minutes, until just golden.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth, or to desired texture.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and add toppings as desired.