Featured Product: Nancy’s Sour Cream
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons Rendered Bacon Fat
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Milk
- 1.5 lbs. Small Yellow Potatoes, diced
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup Nancy’s Sour Cream, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Chives, chopped, for garnish
After cooking the bacon and removing it from the pan, add the rendered fat to a stock pot. Add the diced onion to the pot. Sauté until just softened. Add the flour to the onions and cook for two minutes more. Stirring, pour the chicken broth into the onions about ¼ C. at a time. Allow the mixture to bubble slightly between additions. Reduce the heat. Pour the milk into the pot and add the diced potatoes. Slowly bring to a simmer. Simmer the soup for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are softened.
Allow the soup to cool slightly. Add half to the blender, and puree until smooth before adding back to the pot to season and keep warm. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped chives, as desired.