Featured Products: Nancy’s Organic Sour Cream and Nancy’s Organic Cream Cheese
- 1 C. Unsalted Butter, plus more for the pans
- 3 C. All-purpose Flour
- ½ C. Cane Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Fine Sea Salt
- 4 Eggs, whisked
- 4 Medium Bananas, mashed
- 8 oz. Nancy’s Organic Sour Cream
- ¼ C. Brown Sugar
- 3 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. Nancy’s Organic Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ C. Organic Butter, softened
- 3 ½ C. Organic Powdered Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- Chia Seeds
- Toasted Coconut Shavings
- Fresh Berries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans and line them with cut parchment paper, flush to the bottom and sides.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cane sugar, baking soda and salt. Create a well in the center and add the whisked eggs. Use a wooden spoon to incorporate the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, sour cream, and brown sugar.
- Melt the butter in the bottom of a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Continually swirl the pan as the milk solids separate. As soon the milk solids begin to turn golden, remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir the browned butter into the banana mixture, incorporate the dry mixture and stir everything into a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans and smooth the tops. Bake side by side on the center rack for about 30 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to rest in the pans for 10 minutes before gently turning them out onto racks. Allow them to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat together the softened cream cheese and butter with a hand mixer.
- Slowly incorporate the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Beat until fluffy and smooth.
- If necessary, once the cakes have completely cooled, turn a long bread knife sideways and level the tops of each cake.
- Spread frosting evenly onto the cut surface of the first cake and smooth it to the edges. To keep the cake from crumbing into the frosting, avoid going back on stokes.
- Place the cut side of the second cake down on the frosting so the smooth bottom is on top. Repeat the spreading and smoothing of frosting on the top and sides.
- Add toppings as desired and keep the cake cool until serving.